Venue will be the most affordable Hyundai SUV, and joins its larger siblings including the Kona, Tucson and Santa Fe. Venue will be built in Ulsan, Korea and will arrive in Australian showrooms in the second half of this year.
“The all-new Venue might be small in size, but it’s big on practicality and personality,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president of Product, Corporate and Digital Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Its bold and unique character sets it apart from other SUVs on the market, offering a unique, entry-level vehicle for those consumers seeking savvy design with an abundance of standard safety, technology and connectivity features.”
Venue: The SUV Style Maven
Venue conveys a fun, yet functional design in a versatile and modern compact package. For those constantly on-the-go, Venue offers adaptability to the urban entrepreneur lifestyle many consumers experience in today’s fast-paced environment. From everyday workplace activities to weekend fun, Venue is a great fit in accommodating busy lifestyles with an abundance of playful and practical features including seamless safety, versatility and connectivity.
The design of the new Venue exhibits small but confident body forms, delivering a new interpretation of Hyundai’s signature design language. The vehicle side profile showcases a solid and full volume wheel arch and strong character line, while the front cascading grille includes the new Hyundai signature face that’s found on both Kona and NEXO, including composite LED lights and cube shape headlamps. This unique character line continues through the tail lamps. Venue is available with striking 17-inch alloy wheels along with the 15-inch standard wheels.
“The Hyundai SUV line-up can be compared with the pieces on a chess board,” said SangYup Lee, executive vice president of design, Hyundai Motor Group. “Our new Palisade is the King, but we are missing the smaller piece. And that’s where Venue comes in. It may be small, but its unique and bold design sets it apart from the rest of the pack,” he explained. “We can see the Hyundai look in Venue but there is a unique quality that will appeal to individual customer’s tastes and preferences in a way that sets it apart from the other SUVs in our line-up.”
Advanced Safety Technologies
Venue offers a suite of advanced safety technologies evoking a strong sense of protection in an entry level vehicle, these include:
• Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) uses the car’s front-facing camera to help detect an imminent collision and avoid impact or minimise damage by braking autonomously.
• Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) helps prevent accidental lane departure by sensing road markings automatically steering the car if necessary.
• Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW) helps detect approaching vehicles that may be obscured from view during highway driving.
• Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system monitors a spectrum of driver-related characteristics to help detect driver fatigue or careless driving.
• Rear Collision Cross-Traffic Warning (RCCW) helps detect when a vehicle may have entered a car’s rearward path providing a driver alert.
• Drive Modes includes a snow mode for improved FWD road performance.
Each of these advanced systems provides a relaxing experience during urban driving adventures.
Advanced Connectivity and Multimedia Systems
Venue introduces advanced technologies that enhance driver confidence and convenience ahead of the competition. Venue’s advanced infotainment system features an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen system and rear view monitor. The 8-inch display includes both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ for intuitive operation of the most commonly used smartphone functions, including app-based navigation, streaming audio and voice-controlled search capabilities.
Fuel economy is an important consideration for customers who purchase an entry-level vehicle. Venue won’t disappoint thanks to Hyundai’s Smartstream Gamma 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine. The Dual Port Fuel Injection (DPFI) engine is paired with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions.
Numerous design changes were made to the Smartstream Gamma 1.6 engine to realise fuel economy improvements while maintaining power and torque. To improve fuel economy, Venue incorporates a number of design changes including:
• High Tumble Combustion System by optimising the port and valve shapes
• Maximised Thermal Efficiency by reducing the surface-to-volume ratio
• Cooling System Optimisation incorporating a cross-flow configuration and narrow water jacket core to speed up cabin warming
• Dual Port Fuel Injection with improved injectors and optimised spray targeting with a sophisticated injection strategy
• Integrated Thermal Management System (ITMS) featuring a 2-way rotary control valve, distributing engine coolant to the radiator, transmission warmer and heater core module along with a 6-phase control strategy to prioritize coolant and heat flow for passenger comfort in cold weather and temperature management in hot weather
• High Ignition Energy EGR system with an external EGR cooler to expand the EGR-operated region for improved fuel economy
The SUV’s appealing interior space and comfortable cabin provide adequate space for the versatile urban commuter. Venue comes standard with a 60/40 split flat folding backseat to maximise utility for those trips to the farmer’s market or transporting musical instruments.
With Venue’s SUV styling cues and utility, it is the ideal alternative to a sub-compact car. For reference, the following table highlights the size difference between its larger sibling, Koba.
Venue offers comfort and convenience features. The cargo space features a rear covering shelf for added privacy and can be conveniently stowed along the rear seatback when not being used. While, the dual level cargo floor feature provides flexibility to have the floor of the cargo area in either the top position - level with the seats when folded down, or at a lower position to accommodate taller cargo. Consumers will appreciate available convenience features such as Dual USBs, 3.5” TFT instrument cluster display to illustrate useful information, rear view camera and Bluetooth® hands-free phone. The leather-wrapped steering wheel provides daily comfort for the driver.
Fun, Youthful Colours
To complement the dramatic design, Venue is available with fun, youthful colours. A total of eight exterior colours are available, including Ceramic White, Black Noir, Steller Silver, Galactic Gray, Scarlet Red, Intense Blue, Green Apple and Denim. Denim can be coupled with denim cloth and leatherette interior with a white contrasting roof. Venue offers a choice of grey or black cloth interiors. An all-new two-tone roof, power sunroof and privacy glass contribute further to the head-turning style options.
Hyundai’s naming theme for SUVs has typically been a city or place. The new entry SUV name references a ‘place’ people want to be seen in. The vehicle embodies the characteristics of ‘the place to be,’ while reaching the final desired destination, wherever that may be. The Venue symbolises a trendy, unique style, perfect for Hyundai’s newest and smallest SUV. For first time vehicle owners, Venue offers relaxation and protection with its standard safety features at an affordable price.